Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My Enemies Are Men Like Me

Peace by way of war
Is like purity by way of fornication
It's like telling someone murder is wrong
And showing them by way of execution

- from "My Enemies Are Men Like Me" by Derek Webb

On his second solo project, Mockingbird, Derek Webb tackles some tough issues head on. This entire record, along with Jim Wallis' book God's Politics, changed my life dramatically. I seriously used to think that if you are a Christian, you vote Republican and don't ask any questions. It seems, however, the older I get, the more liberal I get (one of my favorite professors at Bethany said that was because I was getting smarter. Maybe so . . .). The intersection of politics and religion is unavoidable for a couple of reasons: first, if you are earnestly serving Christ, then His message will impact the way you see everything, including politics; second, Pat Robertson, et al. You don't have to watch CNN for long until you hear the term "religious right." Heck, John McCain sold his soul to John Hagee for an endorsement (shouldn't that endanger his church's tax exemption?). The religious right is a powerful group, and I'm not sure that's a good thing. Webb and Wallis really made me evaluate my views, particularly on war and the death penalty, and weigh them in light of the message of Christ. So I ask you, should a Christian ever be pro-war? How should a Christian feel about the death penalty? Can a Christian support a candidate who has a pro-choice stance?

No comments: