Sunday, March 16, 2008

No, life is not fair

Today marks the 15th anniversary of my brother's death. Sean Douglas Rhinehart was 21 years old when the boxtruck that he was driving rear-ended a tractor-trailer, likely a result of Sean falling asleep at the wheel. He was survive by a wife, Starla, a son, Colton (2), and a son who was to be born just two weeks later. My brother and I were never close. He was five years older than me, and we were quite different. Sean took crazy risks, like jumping off of our roof into our above ground pool with a depth of about four feet. I do have some great memories of him (like when he was 15, chasing a potential home intruder down the street with a screwdriver), but I mostly have regrets, regrets in not taking advantage of the opportunity to have a brother. I miss Sean, but more than anything, I'm sad for all that he missed out on. What would he be like? What kind of father would he be today? Could we have been close after all? How would his kids' lives be different had he not been killed? Would he have provided them with the stability that their lives have sorely lacked? I don't know. Sure, he's "in a better place." But I can't help but wonder about the man he would be, the brother he would be, and how we would all be different. It's true--life is not fair. If it was, the world would never have suffered this loss. But God is faithful, and His grace is sufficient.

No comments: