Monday, March 3, 2008

The Shuffle Game

A change of pace . . .

Music can tell you a lot about a person; not just what they like but sometimes a little deeper than that. So, in that spirit, take your iPod or MP3 player, set it to shuffle, and name the first ten songs that come up, say whatever you want regarding it - why you like it, what it reminds you of, etc. No cheating to make yourself look cooler than you are; if Hanna Montana comes up then you damn well say so. (thanks to Pat Walsh for the format)

1. Let's See Action - The Who
A steaming pile of crap song by an otherwise brilliant and original rock band. Thought they'd try their hand at honkytonk. Big mistake. The middle section of the song is cool, classic Who, then back to crap. My friend Albert and I were just discussing this very song, and how it is an anomaly to the rest of The Who's catalog.

2. You Make Me High - Jason Mraz
A beautiful, sad song by one of my favorites ever. His sense of meter and lyric is unbelievable. And he puts on the best show you'll ever see.

3. Owner of a Lonely Heart - Yes (Max Graham remix)
A crappy remix of a great song by a great band. "The Break-Up" gave me a new appreciation of this song.

4. Jingle Bells - Diana Krall
A really cool arrangement of the most annoying Christmas song ever. If you are over 10 and sing this song, poke yourself in the eye.

5. She's Always a Woman to Me - Billy Joel
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. This song gets me everytime. Lyrically profound. Musically profound. Billy Joel is amazing. Ignore "River of Dreams".

6. Mystery of Iniquity - Lauryn Hill
This is from Lauryn's MTV Unplugged CD, which has some great stuff on it, but her voice sounds pretty well worn. Great song, plus Kanye West sampled it, which makes it even cooler. Lauryn is phenomenal, and went from the biggest star in R & B to nowhere really fast. Wonder what that's about.

7. Jump - Van Halen
Probably one of the most instantly recognizable intros ever. Van Halen just canceled their Dallas show tonight, and a lot of people are pissed. Eddie's fried and they need to hang it up. Probably one the top 5 American rock bands of all time, and their legacy grows more tainted with each feeble comeback.

8. Amsterdam - Van Halen
OK, I'm not a huge VH guy, but two songs in a row. iTunes has spoken. This may be my favorite song of theirs, and it's from Balance, the last legitimate album they made.

9. Frontin' - Jamie Cullum
A great jazz cover of a Pharrell song. Jamie is so good, and this song is one of his best. And seeing him live? One of the best concerts I've ever been to. Plus, David Ryan Harris opened. Google him. Download him.

10. The Long and Winding Road - The Beatles
The last number one song they had, and you can almost hear it in the song itself. It's achingly sad and signifies the end of the greatest rock band ever. Go buy "Across the Universe", by the way. It's great.

That'll do it. Anybody who wants to play along, just repost with "The Shuffle Game" and let's see what you've got loaded up.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lauren Hill found Jesus. Wish she was still making music.

That's right up there with "What happened to Jennifer Knapp?"

That's why you want to be in ministry, right? To take the weekends off and half-ass it on Mondays? We'll get into that (you, in ministry) later.

Balance is an amazing album, I don't care if people don't like Van Hagar. That album is freaking great. There's this fill in Feelin' that sounds like he's basically falling down the drums randomly. So great. And Baluchiterium makes me cry happy tears. Not really. But I like it a lot.

Where's Doug Lake? I miss that kid.

D.Lake said...

Here goes my Shuffle:

1- John Mayer, Comfortable - one of the coolest ballads you'll hear. I am diggin the guitar/string vibe! Great lyrics... I give it a 10, 5 stars, Two thumbs up!

2- Vivaldi, Winter - should be played on a rainy, cloudy day, as you drink a cup of joe (or hot chocolate).

3- Delirious?, Love is a miracle - I really like the bass line on this one. Very different! Cool Choir vamp at end. The U2 of Christian Music.

4- Frank, I've got you under my skin - Stinkin' Frank! Love the big room recording sound. Distinctive to this era.

5- Miles Davis, Paper Moon - Again the big room vibe with trumpet as the lead! Makes me feel good when I hear this song.

6- CSUS Jazz Ensemble, 7 steps to heaven - Great guitar solo in middle. Wes IS great! (if Wes didn't play this it doesn't make him less great! Like I needed to say that!)

7- Israel / New Breed, Real - Groove. Has an Andre Crouch vibe! I liked Andre as a kid.

8- Plus One, Quest of Many Trials - These guys did great for changing their boy band style. You can take boy out of the band, but you can't take the band out of the boy!

9- Jeff Buckley, Hallelujah - One o the top five great songs in my book. THank you Leonard!

13- Chris Farley, Matt Foley Motivational Speaker - Vintage Farley. The "who's that over there dad, Bill Shakespear!" I love that. (Ten was a boring Podcast)

Jackie said...

here's mine:

1-Middle Distance Runner-Sea Wolf-
My little brother introduced me to them and they are mellow and just pretty darn good.
2-Thinking of You-Future of Forestry -Again, my brother introduced me to them, and i dig their sound as a Christian band.
3-Climbing Uphill-The Last Five Years Soundtrack-Broadway bliss, probably one of my favorites.Hilarious lyrics, genious really.
4-Simply Because-Rooney-not gonna lie...i haven't listened to very much of them even though they are on my itunes, but as im listening, i like them.
5-Suite Bergamasque-Clair de Lune-Debussy-absolute bliss, impressionism and whole tone music really just get in me in the old ticker.
6-Black Wave-The Shins- this one sort of creeps me out, the reverb on the vocals alone give it an eerie feel.
7-A Mio Padre-Andrea Boccelli (6 Maggio 1992)-that's what it said on my itunes, he just speaks in Italian the whole time, but the strings in the background are breathtaking.
8-A Scale, a Mirror and Those Indifferent Clocks-Bright Eyes-Also introduced to me by my brother-genious lyrics, a folk-sy, indie sound, happy, sounds like an organ setting on a keyboard though, lol.
9-Stop! In the name of Love-Diana Ross and the Supremes-Classic MoTown! feel good music, i would die happy just being one of the backups.
10-You Baby You-The Cleftones-Truly Classic Doo Wop. Their first big hit, electric guitar, drums and a hot Sax solo in the middle.

this was fun. i am not a dork, and I still have a lot to learn about music.